Saturday, July 19, 2014

Instructional Design - Week 6

I am finding that I had already naturally broken my materials into chunks, with “lecture materials” and then an activity of some sort after each natural “break” in content. I am also finding that many of the introductions for chunks were there, and good (in my opinion) but that the transition from one chunk to another was not always there.

We also looked are ready-made content this week (Reusable Learning Objects, Open Education Repositories and the like). I love the idea of ready made content, but I never have much luck finding things I would use in my courses. I’m not sure if that’s because I am too picky, or if the types of things I want are just not available. Much of what is available focuses more on Math and Science, with the Humanities somewhat neglected. This has changed considerably in the last few years, but what is available is still weak. Could it be because the humanities do not lend themselves as easily to reusable objects? Some of the articles I found this week talk about what makes something really reusable, and they focus on the fact that it should be context neutral. I feel like English in particular is not always easy to remove the context from.

On another note, I played with and created an InfoGraphic, which now appears on my Syllabus page. It was interesting to lay out in images what was already spelled out in the Graphic Syllabus.

No comments:

Post a Comment