Saturday, July 5, 2014

Instructional Design - Week 4

I was having some difficulty this week with creating Connect activities. To me, it seems that there are some things that just don’t have a connect activity. Perhaps I just need to think more outside the box. I am also having some difficulty with Do vs Connect. I feel that some Connect activities are also Do activities, and vice versa (later confirmed by Dr. Manning, which made me feel a whole lot better!). Every time I think I have it down, I confuse myself again. I understand that Do means practice, but for many of the topics I cover, I am teaching the skill, so even the connect type activities involve practicing the skills learned. It's good to know there is a cross over between these types of activities.

I was also struggling with the ideas presented by Oblinger. Based on the article, I fall into the Gen-Xers, yet I don’t feel that I share the same “qualities” as they do. I then took the “how Millennial are you” quiz, and see that I fall pretty clearly in the Millennial category. (http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/how-millennial-are-you/results/) I think it’s interesting to try to categorize people by generation, particularly when it comes to using technology. I know many much older adults who would probably score pretty high as millennials. This was brought up in the discussion forum as well, and how trying to put people in a box may be detrimental to everyone involved.

Oblinger, D. (n.d.). Boomers, Gen-Xers, and Millennials: Understanding the "New Students" Educause. Retrieved June 22, 2014, from https://net.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/ERM0342.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment