Friday, April 11, 2014

Assessment for eLearning - Week 6

Cyber-Coaching Readings

Some of the ideas I took away from Petersen:

"The Cybercoaching model assumes that instructors and students have compatible online technology and word processing tools. " (Petersen, 2005) Prior to becoming a Google Apps school, I had to ask students to submit all work as an RTF document, that was I would be able to open it no matter what device I was using. Now, I don't need to worry about this, because students are asked to use their Google Apps account, which takes away from the "I don't have access to that tool" problem. Assuring that everyone has equitable access is really important in any classroom, but particularly important in a potentially global classroom. I keep thinking of Stephen, in China, who cannot access the Google products, and it is truly a shame!

"In the process of instruction, the instructor gets to know the learner’s weaknesses based on pre-stated objectives. The knowledge is formulated through consistent reflection centered on the objectives from the learner’s perspective." (Petersen, 2005) Again, reflection is vastly important to learning. Without it, we do not internalize what we knew, know and can know on any given subject.

Petersen, Naomi Jeffery. (2004). Cybercoaching: Rubrics, feedback, & metacognition, oh my! Paper presented at E.C. Moore Symposium on Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Indiana University. February 25, 2005.

Discussions This Week

It is interesting to see the variety of levels amongst my peers when it comes to the idea of cyber-coaching. Perhaps it is because those in this course do not have an awful lot of experience in online learning that not many seem to use this method. I firmly believe, based on my interactions with peers, that many of my classmates would have made the transition to the cyber-coach, even without prompting.

Based on my post in the discussion forum, it is apparently clear that I have a passion for online learning, which is a nice take-away, because I really do. I never thought anyone would aspire to be anything like me, or want me to teach in their school, but this week and last has been a pretty good ego boost. It is always nice when your peer notice something in you and compliment you. I suppose that is one of the many reasons for utilizing peer feedback!

Final Project Update

I am in fairly good shape for content for the final project, I am in the process of combining some of the documents I have made to have less repetition on the pages. My biggest struggles are that I don't yet know how I want to present my final project, and that I feel like I need to actually build the module in my course. To me, a plan is not enough. I want to build every activity and assessment, video tutorials, and tip sheets, which causes me some undue strain. I know that this is my own demon, but I am struggling with it.

My Pre-Course Survey

No comments:

Post a Comment